This is a super simple, but addictively delicious dessert that can be tweaked so many ways once you get the basics. It’s even appropriate for breakfast or brunch if you can't wait that long!
During apple/pear season, we adore using crisp, juicy honeycrisp apples or pears like bosc or d’anjou, but you can use another berries or peaches during the summer months.
2 cups all-purpose flour (whole wheat or white unbleached)
2/3 cup sugar (if you’re off the refined stuff, try 1/2 cup of honey or pure maple syrup)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 tablespoons milk or almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
6 cups apples or pears, peeled, seeded and sliced as you would for a pie or tart
*In your order, this means you may want to order 6 medium sized apples or 4 large sized apples depending on their size. Same for pears.
**Optional: you can add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg or zest of one lemon
- Stir the flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
- Make a well in the center of mixture and add the eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Mix to form a smooth batter.
- Add 4 tbsp of the melted butter.
- Let batter stand for 30 minutes while preparing the fruit.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
- Butter an 8- or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Stir the fruit into the batter and pour into the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack or onto serving dish.
- Serve warm or cold.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, add a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream while it’s still warm and serve it up. Yum!
No reviews yet! Will you be the first?