This is one of our go-to favorites for months when grilling is happening. This entire recipe is made on the grill minus the bowls for marinating. We suggest planning ahead a few hours to marinate your steak, but even 30 minutes before grilling will still be delicious. Strictly speaking, this is a salad, but it is hearty enough to easily be dinner. Romaine, radicchio, escarole all work well being grilled, or a combination of them!
1 head of romaine or 2 romaine hearts quartered
1 head or radicchio quartered (optional)
8-10oz of steak (skirt, flank, and flat iron work well) you can also use chicken or any protein you like.
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional but suggested : 2 tablespoons of 1 or each dijon mustard & Worcestershire.
Optional: Blue or Parmesan cheese.
1. Make a marinade. You will be using this both for your steak and your salad, but you can mix it together before reporting. Wish together balsamic, olive oil, dijon, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Once combined separate 1/2 of the marinade into a large freezer bag or container. Leave the remainder aside.
2. Add your steak to the bag or container with the marinade. Let marinate in the refrigerator for 30minutes - 12 hours.
3. Cut your romaine long ways into quarters. Make sure the stem of both stays in tack so it holds your quarters together. Next submerge these quarters in some cold water and to rinse after rinsing shake lightly to remove excess water.
4. In a large bowl place your greens wedges. Next pour the remaining marinade over all the greens. Mix lightly with your hands to ensure the marinade works its way between the leaves.
5. Light your grill.
6. Add your steak, cook about 5 minutes without flipping. You should see beads of red juices forming on the top of the steak as a sign to flip. Resist the urge to fuss with it. After 5 minutes, flip and cook another 3-5 minutes depending on doneness preference. Remove and let rest.
7. While the steak is resting add your romaine and radicchio to the grill. Make sure to keep the marinade left in the bowl. Be careful of flame ups with oil being on the lettuce. Grill lightly for 3-5 minutes. We like the greens to char and soften a bit before we remove them. Remove the greens from the grill and add them back into the large bowl with marinade. Mix until well coated.
8. Serve. You can either cut the greens into bite-sized pieces or serve a whole quarter or each romaine and radicchio per place. Slice steak thinly, sprinkle a bit more salt on the slices, and serve alongside the greens. We also like grating a little parmesan or crumbling a bit of blue cheese over everything for an extra bite. Enjoy!
If you feel you need a carb, baked potatoes or potato wedges go well!