This dish will make you the most popular gal or guy at your next party. Not joking. Just get ready for everyone to bug you for the recipe. We warned you.
We like to make this for parties because the thinly cut hanger steak makes easy serving for multiple people. We recommend a full 24-hour marinade, but we've made it many times without marinating and it's still delicious.
The recipe calls for a ton of herbs and some less-than-common ingredients. We marked those as optional, but trust us and try them. You will thank us later.
1.5lb skirt steak, hanger, flank, or flat iron steak
1 bunch of cilantro or parsley (OR, even better, both) if using both 1/2 bunch of each.
2 limes, juiced
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons of capers (in brine, not in salt), optional
2 filets of anchovy (or 1 teaspoon of anchovy paste), optional
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, optional
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
1. Chop and mix ALL the chimichurri ingredients together in a bowl.
You can chop and mix in a food processor, blender or by hand. We prefer by hand so the sauce stays chunkier. If you use a blender you want a coarse chop; don't blend into a puree (though it will still taste good).
2. Take 1/2 of the chimichurri sauce and cover the hanger steak. We recommend putting everything in a large ziplock bag, but a bowl or pan works well too. Just make sure the steak is fully covered.
Let steak marinate in refrigerator for 2-24 hours (the longer the better). Reserve the other 1/2 of the sauce separately in the refrigerator.
3. Cook the steak:
We recommend grilling outside over fire, but a grill pan or even a regular pan on your stovetop over high heat will work in a pinch.
We prefer our steak medium rare (about 5 minutes per side).
4. Remove steak from heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
5. Slice steak against the grain thinly, in 1/4 inch slices.
6. Spread the steak on a platter (or cutting board)
7. Lightly sprinkle steak with pepper and coarse salt.
7. Drizzle the reserved sauce (NOT what you used to marinate the meat) over the steak.
8. Serve and rejoice in the awesomeness you created.
If you also made potato wedges, serve them along side.